Technical Director (Permanent, Full Time)
General Description of the Role:
The Technical Director (TD) has the daily responsibility for the technical operations of Resource Centre for the Arts (LSPU Hall and RCA Theatre Company), including lighting, sound, video, set installation and construction, staff supervision and scheduling, and coordinating necessary maintenance. The TD works with a great deal of independence and exercises independent judgment in performing a wide variety of duties. Because of the operating hours of the facility and the nature of the work, close supervision is not normally required nor expected.
The TD provides support, orientation, technical services, technical equipment, and theatre operation to incoming renters with additional technicians (as needed and/or requested) and acts as production TD on all RCA Programming.
Reporting Structure The Technical Director works as part of a management team with the General Manager and the Artistic Animateur, all of whom directly report to the RCA Board of Directors. RCA is a not-for-profit, charitable organization governed by a Board of Directors.
· Assists in recruiting, training, and assignment/scheduling of technical staff (includes permanent technical staff & casual call list).
· Consults on the technical requirements of productions & presentations (includes costing)
· Works with Production Management to oversee all production elements of RCA Theatre productions (includes managing departmental budgets & production schedules)· Manages set construction (drafting & build), technical drawings, rentals, and other show-specific technical elements as needed for all RCA Theatre productions
· Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, video, staging, and other needs necessary for events and performances presented at the venue in advance of each production’s load-in dates.
· Makes recommendations to the General Manager regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
· Monitors the condition of all performance spaces (Main Stage & Second Space)
· Arranges for the repair and replacement of equipment within budgetary constraints
· Performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
· Acting as a leader with Occupational Health & Safety protocols and sitting on the Facilities/OHS Committee
· Analyzes and evaluates the technical needs for various events and performances (in-house and external rentals).
· Communicates effectively and timely, both orally and in writing.
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound, video and lighting systems, design and implementation; stage management; drafting/technical drawing and stage carpentry.
· Knowledge of appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
· Maintains an inclusive and respectful work environment for co-workers and clients and implements RCA’s various workplace policies.
· Comfortable working at height and able to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools.
· Post-secondary training in theatre production and/or a minimum of 5 years experience in Technical Direction and/or similar relevant professional experience
· Experience with Vectorworks, QLab (sound & video), live streaming, networking
· Experience working with ETC lighting boards (Ion), Yahama sound boards (QL5)
· Experience with standard theatre lighting/sound/video equipment & systems
· Comfortable driving cargo/panel trucks
· Familiar with Mac/PC operating systems, working knowledge of word processing/spreadsheet software and file management
· First Aid Training an asset
· Lift Ticket/Fall Arrest an asset
Hours of Work:
Regular hours of work for the TD are 35 hours per week.
Hours of work may vary to include daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Due to the nature of the work, flexible scheduling is allowed.
Salary: $45,000 to $55,000 with health benefits
Anticipated Start Date : May 30, 2022 (Negotiable)
Submission Requirements & Contact info:
Submit cover letter & resume with references in PDF by email to:
3 Victoria Street
St. John’s, NL A1C 3V2
We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with all applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of our process. If you require reasonable accommodation in applying for this position, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the above contact.
Deadline: May 16, 2022
RCA is on a deliberate and strategic path to creating an inclusive environment for our employees & clients that represents the diversity of our industry & community. We desire to attract a workforce that reflects and shares these values.
RCA is dedicated to accessible employment practices and committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of our community and encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on age, race, colour, gender, disability, national origin or any other protected ground under the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Act. Please feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.