RCA Theatre Company
This performance will be a little different from how RCA Theatre Company has brought performances to schools in the past. Due to COVID-19, we created a filmed version of the production for you to be able to watch from the safety of your screens in your classrooms.
Your Role as an Audience Member
Audience may be unaware of how disturbing they can be when they talk, eat or move around in their seats during a show – not only to the actors performing but also to the other audience members watching.
Your reaction affects the actors. We certainly do not want a passive audience; actors need your response and feed off your laughter, your applause etc… When appropriate, such reactions “fuel their fire” – but that response must be in co-operation with the action on the stage.
In your classroom, before you see the show try an exercise where students play the roles of actors on stage and audience members.
Some questions to help prompt discussion:
- When you played the role of actor, how did you feel when an audience member responded appropriately or displayed negative behaviours?
- When you played the role of audience member, how did you feel when an audience member around you displayed negative behaviours towards the actors on stage?
Please discuss the following RCA Theatre Rules prior to watching the ALTAR performance and participating in the outreach activities:
- Because of safety issues, no cameras, cell phones, video cameras or other recording devices are permitted during the performance or outreach activity.
- Please listen to and respect the instructions given by RCA Theatre personnel.
- The activities will begin at the scheduled time.
- Please have your students remain seated throughout the performance and the outreach activity. If students must leave the gym/auditorium/classroom during the performance, please do so quickly and quietly so as not to disturb those around you.