RCA Theatre Company
Your Role as an Audience Member
Audience may be unaware of how disturbing they can be when they talk, eat or move around in their seats during a show – not only to fellow audience members but also to the actors performing.
Your reaction affects the actors. We certainly do not want a passive audience; actors need your response and feed off your laughter, your applause etc… When appropriate, such reactions “fuel their fire” – but that response must be in co-operation with the action on the stage.
In your classroom, before you see the show try an exercise where students play the roles of actors on stage and audience members.
Some questions to help prompt discussion:
- When you play the role of actor, how do you feel when an audience member responded appropriately or displayed negative behaviours?
- When you play the role of audience member, how did you feel when an audience member around you displayed negative behaviours towards the actors on stage?
Please discuss the following RCA Theatre Rules prior to attending the Altar performance:
- Because of safety issues, no cameras, cell phones, video cameras or other recording devices are permitted during the performance.
- Please listen to and respect the instructions given by RCA Theatre personnel.
- The show will begin at the scheduled time. If a group arrives late, the group will be seated at the back of the gym/auditorium so as not to disturb the rest of the audience and the performance.
- Please have your students remain seated throughout the performance. If students must leave the gym/auditorium during the performance, please do so quickly and quietly so as not to disturb those around you.